Peninsula Private Hospital surgeons now equipped with second sight
Jan 18, 2018
Peninsula Private Hospital are excited to announce patients receiving spinal and neurosurgical treatment at our hospital will now benefit from new, state-of-the-art equipment recently purchased.
The technology is known as the Next Generation Medtronic O-ARMTM Multidimensional Surgical Imaging System, coupled with the Stealth Station® Surgical Navigation System.
The Next Generation O-ARM Provides 3D images via 360 degree scan both during and after surgery.
The GPS navigation equipment provides the surgeon guidance in real time to visual the anatomy.
What this means for patients:
The next Generation O-ARM can assist in facilitating minimal access surgical techniques which is a type of minimally invasive surgery.
Demand to reduce the invasive nature of surgery has resulted in:
- Smaller Incisions
- Faster recovery times
- Fewer surgical complications and encouraging clinical outcomes;
- Reduced surgical blood loss;
- Less use of post-operative pain medicines – as a result of less pain to the patient;
- A reduction in the length of a hospital stay;
- Increased speed of function in returning to daily activities,
- Reduced demand for additional pre-operative and post-operative CT scanning, thereby reducing radiation exposure to the patient and saving time.
This new technology can help healthcare professionals more accurately plan their approach during surgery, provide more information to the surgeon about the patient’s unique anatomy during procedures, and further enhance levels of operating accuracy.
With permission from News Corp Australia